7 Top Accessories to Help You Adjust to Your Invisalign Braces
Invisalign aligners have become a very popular choice for orthodontic care. With these clear removable braces, you can get a beautiful smile without most people even noticing you have anything on your teeth.
There are a lot of pros to choosing Invisalign treatment:
- They are clear plastic aligners that can be easily removed
- Can be removed to eat and to brush and floss your teeth
- Treatment includes a new set of aligners every two weeks as your teeth shift into proper alignment
- Invisalign can also handle both simple and complicated alignment issues
But there are some adjustments to wearing them. You need to make sure you wear them at least for 20 to 22 hours day for the most effectiveness, and you need to brush and floss diligently every time you eat and drink, as well as to keep the clear aligners from getting stained and from smelling badly. It can also be an adjustment to learn how to get the aligners in and out properly.
Here are 7 top accessories to help you adjust to your Invisalign aligners:
1. Orthodontic Wax
Even though Invisalign aligners are usually more comfortable to wear, you can sometime still experience so discomfort from the aligners and any buttons or attachments the orthodontist might have adhered to your teeth to help straighten your smile.
2. Aligner Retrieval Tools
Usually there is a learning curve to learn the smoothest way to get the aligners in and out of your mouth and there are tools available that can make it a lot easier to get the aligners on and off your teeth and to make sure it is positioned properly. Look for one that is made of surgical stainless steel so it is easy to keep clean and will last you a long time.
3. Invisalign Chewies
Chewies are another product that can help you with switching the aligners in and out. You can usually get them 2 in a pack.
4. Floss Picks
Food particles stuck in between your teeth or caked on your aligners can really be embarrassing. And unfortunately they can be more noticeable when you are wearing clear plastic aligners. The whole point of going with clear aligners is to make them not noticeable, but to keep them that way you need to keep them really clean. That is where floss picks come in. They can be really helpful to get rid of those unwanted food particles that inevitable get stuck between your teeth and on the aligners.
5. Travel Oral Hygiene Kit/Storage Case Combo
Probably the most important accessory for your Invisalign braces is a storage case that also doubles as an oral hygiene kit. You are wearing the aligners for 20 to 24 hours and will be taking them in and out at different times of the day so being prepared is key. You need a discrete place to store the aligners when you are not wearing them and you need to also have on hand all your cleaning products and tools because you need to clean not only your teeth and gums every time you take the aligners out, but also the aligners themselves. To have all this in a compact travel kit you can take everywhere will make your life so much easier.
6. Cleansing Towelettes and Sprays
If you are looking for quick ways to clean your aligners and freshen them up, you can buy cleansing towelettes that you can simply wipe your aligners quickly without the need to rinse them out. If you prefer a spray to towelettes, you can get a Invisalign and retainer cleaner spray.
7. Tips for Cleaning Your Aligners
If you do not take proper care of your Invisalign trays then they will start to yellow and develop a foul odor which can be quite embarrassing. Here are some tips for cleaning your aligners:
- Each morning take your trays out and clean both your teeth and the trays thoroughly. While you were sleeping a lot of bacteria could have built up on the trays so it is important to start the day off right with clean teeth and trays. Make sure you do this every evening as well.
- Always rinse them when you remove them. To prevent dry saliva and plaque from building up, make sure you rinse your trays every time you take them out of your mouth. You want to avoid creating an inviting environment for bacteria to grow. You can also use a clear anti-bacterial soap to keep your trays clean and clear. Brushing the trays with a soft-bristled toothbrush can also help remove some of the plaque. Even when you are out and about and not in the comfort of your own home, it is important to properly take care of your Invisalign trays.
- Soak your aligners every day. The best way to make sure your Invisalign trays are as clean as possible is to soak them in either a denture cleaner or Invisalign cleaning crystals. After they are finished soaking, use an extra toothbrush that you don’t use for your teeth to brush off any lingering plaque or food particles and then rinse the trays before placing them back in your mouth.
- Always brush and floss your teeth before putting the trays back in. If you put the trays back in when there are food particles still stuck between your teeth, you will be trapping them inside the trays which could lead to cavities and other dental issues down the road.
- Don’t leave your trays out in the open air when you are not wearing them. Leaving them exposed like that could lead to more buildup of bacteria while also making it more likely that you will lose them. Keep your case with you at all times just to be on the safe side. If by chance you do leave them out for a while, it is important that your rinse them, soak them and then rinse them again before putting them on again.
Take proper care of your trays and not only will you have a better experience during treatment, you are also protecting your oral health from future issues. Contact Orthodontics Limited today for more information.
Leave a Reply